10 Steps for Creating a Design Plan
1. Seek inspiration by tearing pages from magazines and catalogs; printing images from websites; and considering what attracts you to favorite objects, destinations, and even restaurants.
2. Review what you have to work with in the space, from furniture to fixtures. Ask yourself: What should I remove, recycle, or repurpose in my design?
3. Draw a floor plan, photograph walls straight on for future reference, and jot down all window measurements.
4. Decide what mood or look you want the room to project and how you will use the room. Now's the time to plan for storage and organization.
5. Decide which color will dominate on the walls, floor, and ceiling. Consider where patterns, colors, and finishes might appear in fabrics and on furniture. Think about accent colors.
6. Start a budget spreadsheet. Work in a 20-percent cushion for unexpected repairs or delivery fees.
7. Go on a fact-finding mission. Shop around, sleuthing in stores and online for products and prices.
8. Weed, prune, and pare down your ideas and selections. Transfer these ideas to a board with floor and wall plans. Step back and review. Then create your master design plan.
9. Recruit your dream team. Line up installers and repair professionals.
10. Set the schedule. Take into account delivery lead times and allow for possible delays.